February in Thailand. Stories about learning, teaching, friendship, and love (SEA-TEACHER DIARY)

February Memories in Thailand
 
Day 12 (Thursday, February 1st 2018)

Welcome, February. Today I have to come with Bella for observation on M. 2/5. because I'm going to tell the students in M. 2/5 to prepare the materials to bring when I teach in this class. 10 minutes before class finished, I came forward to tell students to bring in materials like color clay, foam, ping pong balls and glue for next week. Next week I will teach about water.


 


For an explanation of school history you can download below

Download English Version

Download Thai Version


Day 13 (Friday, February 2nd 2018)



If Friday, it's time we studied Thai culture class. In this week's week, we studied Thai culture not on campus, but in Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall. This place is a museum containing history about Thailand. "Rattanakosin" is the former name of Thailand's capital city, which had been used since its establishment in 1782 before it was changed to "Krungthep Mahanakorn" (or "Bangkok") to the present time. Besides, "Rattanakosin" is also the name of the era under the reign of Chakri Dynasty. The era in which various kinds of arts and cultures have been inherited, developed and combined continuously to become the era of colorful varieties dan beauty, while its identity is still maintained like the kaleidoscopic gemstones that have been neatly cut to bring up their brilliant value from all angles. The Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall serves as an additional tourist venue for the City of Bangkok, where visitors can glean information and gain a greater understanding of a range of world-famous attractions located in the vicinity of Rattanakosin Island prior to visiting the actual places themselves.





At there, we learned about how Thailand was formed, the state of Thailand during the time of King Rama first to King Rama ninth and the history of each King.





Day 14 (Saturday, February 3rd 2018)

Today, we went to Ayutthaya province. There we went to four places are Wat Niwet Thammaprawat, Wat Mahathat, Wat Phanan Choeng, and Ayutthaya floating market.

First, we go to Wat Niwet Thammaprawat. This place is founded in 1878, it is remarkable among Thai Buddhist temples in that its architecture mimics that of a European church, being built in the Gothic Revival style.


Wat Niwet Thammaprawat


Wat Niwet Thammaprawat


Some participants with SSRU students and my buddy

Second, we went to Wat Mahathat. This place is a Buddhist temple that has existed since time immemorial. According to the official Thai history, referring to the investigations of the Royal Chronicles of Ayutthaya by Prince Damrong Rajanubhab, the history of Wat Mahathat starts in 1374 when King Borommaracha I erected a temple at this place, bearing another name.


Wat Maha That


Wat Maha That


Me, Jherelyn, Tar (Lyzel's Buddy), Lyzel, and Jo (Lisa's Buddy)


Wat Maha That

Third, we went to Wat Phanan Choeng. This place built in 1324, some 26 years before the city of Ayutthaya was officially founded, the temple must have been partly connected to early settlements in the area. These notably allegedly included a 200-strong refugee community from Song Dynasty China. The large wihan, the highest building within the temple complex, houses an immense gilded 19 meter high seated Buddha from 1334 CE. This highly revered Buddha statue is called Luang Pho Tho by Thais, and Sam Pao Kong by Thai-Chinese.



Lastly, we went to Ayutthaya floating market. There is a famous floating market in Ayutthaya province. Sell various original souvenirs from Ayutthaya at affordable prices. And at certain times, you can also see traditional drama performances. In addition here you can also feel riding elephants around the market. This time we boarded the boat to go to the market...


Elephants in Ayutthaya floating market

 

The boat that took us went to the market



Day 15 (Sunday, February 4th 2018)

Today, I do not go anywhere. I'm just in the dormitory to prepare the topic I'm going to teach tomorrow on Monday. Because tomorrow is the day for my teaching exams at the SSRU demonstration school in the M. 2/5 and M 2/3.

In the morning I send my lesson plan for tomorrow to Dr. Sumalee via email. After I thought it was correct I was also photocopying it, but after I photocopy it there was a mistake so I had to fix it in one day.

The media I use for tomorrow is presentation and practicum making water cycle models.
Download My Presentation about the water cycle here
Download my Lesson Plan about the water cycle here

Day 16 (Monday, February 5th 2018)

 

Today is my first day teaching at the SSRU demonstration school. The lesson plan I have made follows the example of the lesson plan Pi 'Jub that matches the curriculum in this school. Before teaching at 11:50, I helped Lyzel in his teaching activities at 8:30 to 10:30. At 11:50 I taught at M. 2/5. This class is a class that has students who are quite noisy, so I'm having trouble organizing them. At about 12:30, my supervisor Dr. Sumalee came to give me a score on the Evaluation Form from SEA-Teacher. She is only present for 1 hour because she has a teaching schedule on campus so that for the second class in M. 2/3, she can not attend.


At the time of teaching, I used 5E learning activities (Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, and Evaluate), as this activity is perfect for students at the SSRU demonstration school.

For time management in class, during the first 10 minutes, I invite students to be interested in the topic I teach. Then 30 minutes I taught about the topic being taught as I gave the questions related to the topic. 30 minutes later I told the students to make a water cycle model together with his group with the materials that had been prepared before, then the last 20 minutes I invite students to present their work and 10 minutes to conclude the topic being taught.

But that time is not appropriate when I teach in M 2/5 because they take a long time to make the water cycle model. So that water cycle model becomes homework for all of them.


After finishing teaching in M 2/5, I immediately taught at M 2/3. In this class has students who are more manageable than M 2/5. So while teaching in this class, his students are more organized than in the previous class. In this class, I was able to do learning activities in accordance with the lesson plan I made, although there are 2 groups that have not completed the water cycle model.


In classroom management, I had trouble communicating with them because few students understood English, so in my evaluation form, I got a bad score in classroom management. And I also need to fix my lesson plan because of an error.

I get a score of 4 for Instructional Strategies, 3 for Communicative, 2 for Classroom management, and 1 for Discipline.This score is from my supervisor Dr. Sumalee. While for from my cooperating teacher Ajan Pat will give it 2 days later.



Day 17 (Tuesday, February 6th 2018)

Today I have to check the homework of my students. Yesterday I told them to collect their homework before 12:00 so today I wait for them in the science room. When checking their homework, I'm a bit disappointed because many of my students are late collecting it and on the home task is still quite a lot of mistakes. But I admit it happened because maybe my wrong teaching activities so they get a score like that

Day 18 (Wednesday, February 7th 2018)

Today I accompanied Tyas to go to Dr. Sumalee, as she will be willing to submit the lesson plan he made to her. Tyas has a teaching schedule in tomorrow, so on this day she is very busy to prepare her teaching materials. The topic she got about water in M 2/4 and wind in M 1/3.

Day 19 (Thursday, February 8th 2018)

Today I helped Jherelyn in preparing his teaching materials. As always she was always late to prepare for it. She will teach English on M 1/3 at 09.00 and his topic is about the weather. When she taught, I could not help her, because I had to go to Name class about physics lecture with Dr. Sumalee. Topics on this day about capacitors. I also downloaded his presentation on the SSRU website to learn it before the class started, because all the presentations about the lesson before class began Dr. Sumalee always uploads it on the SSRU website.

After the Name class ended, I went to Dr. Sumalee to submit the lesson plan I have fixed in accordance with his instructions. As she reads it and checks it again, then she says that my lesson plan is correct. You can download the lesson plan I made here. Then she asked me about Tyas's teaching schedule and where she would teach. Because Dr. Sumalee did not know where Tyas was teaching, so I would accompany her to Tyas class.

When Me, Name and Dr. Sumalee arrived at the class that Tyas taught, it turns out the class was almost finished so that Dr. Sumalee cannot give a score for Tyas. So Dr. Sumalee gave one more chance to Tyas to teach again, but not at school but on campus during the physics lab class about resistor in series and parallel series on Monday. And I was also ordered by Dr. Sumalee to teach the same topic as Tyas on the same day after Tyas class. On Monday Tyas will teach in Som O's class (Tyas's Buddy) and I will teach in Name's class (My Buddy).
 

Day 20 (Friday, February 9th 2018)

Today, it's time for Thai culture class. This topic is about traditional Thai games. There are 3 types of games introduced by us. The first is "Wing Pieow". In English, it is sometimes translated as “relay race” or “flag game”. It is quite easy to play and very fun. You need two teams of equal size. There should be at least four people in each team. Two posts are then set up about 20 meters apart. The two teams line up at each end. The referee stands in the middle with his arms stretched out and holding a handkerchief in each hand. When everyone is ready he blows the whistle. The first member of each team then has to run to the far pole and back. Along the way, they grab the handkerchief from the referee. When that team member gets back he then passes the flag to the second member and then that person has to run up to the pole at the far end and back again. Basically, what is happening here is that each team is trying to catch up with the other. If each team is equally strong then this game could go on for a long time until someone becomes too tired and slows down.

The second is Ngu Kin Hang. "Ngu Kin Hang" or "the snake-bites-tail game" is another traditional Thai game that is very popular among Thai children. They could play with many friends in teams. It's fun and exciting to play Ngu Kin Hang because the mother snake had to protect her children from the father snake.

The following is how to play Ngu Kin Hang.

There are two teams - a mother snake (including her babies) and a father snake one-man team. Mother and father snakes are engaged in a preliminary dialogue, but I don't understand because that dialogue in the Thai language

(The line of baby snakes then sways from side to side.) and answer rhymes go on for quite a while but it all boils down to which part the father snake will eat the mother snake's middle part of her tail both comprising baby snakes. In the end, the father snake will try to catch any of the little ones behind the mother snake's back. She, of course, must try to protect them.




The third is Mon Sonpa. Before starting the game, players have to choose the person who will be the “Mon” and then every player except the Mon will sit down on the floor in a circle and sing the song “SON PHA”. While all the other players sing, Mon will hold a cloth and walk around the circle. If Mon puts a cloth behind one of them, he or she must pick it up and run to catch the Mon around the circle. If the player cannot catch the Mon before the Mon sits at his or her place, the one who holds that cloth will be the next Mon for the next game.



After that, during my break time, I and Jherelyn were taught by SSRU friends to demonstrate the famous Thai advertisement about a guy who ordered coffee but with funny moves. His movements are like this


 

Then in the afternoon, Tyas and I met the head of the physics lab to do the exercises before teaching on Monday. On Monday, we will become a practicum assistant where the practicum is about the resistor. Materials used are 4 pieces of resistors, some connecting cables, multimeter, power supply, and project boards. For practice, we will determine the value of resistance, electric current strength, and voltage in the series circuit, parallel circuit, and combine circuit.

In the night, I, Jherelyn, Lyzel, and Safe (Jherelyn's Buddy) with Safe's friends go to Winter Festival at the Royal Plaza. There are a lot of flowers and people using traditional Thai dress.









Day 21 (Saturday, February 10th 2018)

Today, we went to the central world. We went there because Jherelyn wanted to exchange his peso into baht. After exchanging money at the "Super Rich" money changer, we ate steak in Santa Fe. There I ordered a dory fish steak for 139 baht. While we were out I saw a lantern decoration on the front yard of the mall. This lantern decoration to commemorate Chinese New Year which will take place on 16th of February


Dory Fish Steak



Day 22 (Sunday, February 11th 2018)

Today is the second time I go to church because I am a Buddhist. I went to church because Jherelyn and Lyzel were invited there. They invited Tae (Safe's Friend) to church. There was an event celebrating Valentine's Day with the theme "LOVE IS ALL AROUND".

In the night, we went to ChangChui. ChangChui is a tourist spot where there is a plane wreckage as an icon of this place. There we tried to eat a dragon breath candy, because made with nitrogen so that when we eat it, we can issue smoke like dragon breath haha




 

Day 23 (Monday, February 12th 2018)

In the morning, Ajan Pat gave me a souvenir of photographs with Ajan Pat



This time me became a practicum assistant, because in my campus in Indonesia, I also became a practicum assistant. I really like this subject but unlike Tyas. She has never been a practicing assistant so that while she taught there are still many mistakes done. Tyas got my first shift at 10:00 and I was second at 12.30.



At the time of the practicum begins, in 1 class divided into 2 large groups. Why only 2 groups, because of the existing project board in the laboratory where there are only 2.

When I teach Name's class, I think students on campus are easier to teach than students in school. Because some of them understand English. The topic in this physics lab class is my favorite lesson. When guiding the lab, I try to keep students more active than me. While guiding me a little trouble because I was guiding two tables at once. The time for this class is only 1.30 hours.


Today was my last day studying in class with Name. Because next week I'm back to my country.This time he became a practicum assistant, because in my campus in Indonesia, I also became a practicum assistant. I really like this subject, but unlike Tyas. He has never been a practicing assistant so that while he taught there are still many mistakes done. Tyas got my first shift at 10:00 and I was second at 12.30.

At the time of the practicum begins, in 1 class divided by 2 large groups. Why only 2 groups, because the existing project board in the laboratory here there are only 2.

When I teach Name classes, I think students on campus are easier to teach than students in school. Because some of them understand English. The topic in this physics lab class is my favorite lesson. When guiding the lab, I try to keep students more active than me. While guiding me a little trouble because I was guiding two tables at once. The time for this class is only 1.30 hours.

Today was my last day studying in class with Name. Because next week I'm back to my country. So before we go home, we all take a picture together with Dr. Sumalee.



Day 24 (Tuesday, February 13th 2018)

This night, we (Me, Tyas, and Lisa) are invited by teachers from the science department to go to China Town. To go there we use tuk-tuk, then proceed with a boat. Because Tyas and Lisa are Muslims, so we also order halal food. So we eat Seafood in China Town. There we ate shrimp, crab fried rice, and tom yum. And the cost for a dinner of 300 baht. After that we tried the typical Thai dessert. This dessert is like ice cendol in Indonesia.






 


Day 25 (Wednesday, February 14th 2018)

Today is Valentine's Day. Lyzel and Jherelyn made many letters to friends in the SSRU. I finally made a design for Valentine's Day, but I'm just making it for some friends. Because they make letters, they only sleep for a few hours.


In the night, me, Name, Fang, Jherelyn and Lyzel go to AsiaTique. To get there we have to board the boat for about 20 minutes. AsiaTique is a very beautiful place.





Day 26 (Thursday, February 15th 2018)

Today is the last day I met my roommate, Pi 'Yodd because tomorrow morning he will go to another province to join the Boy Scout activities. In the afternoon, we were all with Pi 'Yodd, Pi' Dream, Pi 'Phon, and Ajan Araya eating together at a restaurant near the campus. After eating together, we hope Pi 'Yodd and others can walk with us. But apparently, they can not, because they have to prepare equipment for scout activities. So we were sad, especially Lyzel and Jherelyn. Because Pi 'Yodd and Pi' Dream are the ones who pick them up at the airport. They are the first people that Jhe and Lyzel know in Thailand. I was also sad because Pi 'Yodd was my roommate for 3 weeks in Thailand. But before we went home to the dorm, Pi 'Yodd told me that later that night he would sleep in our dorm (Khurusapha) and play UNO cards. We were glad to hear it, though it was also sad because today was last seen with Pi 'Yodd. Pi 'Yodd as I consider my brother because even though he is not very fluent in English but he always try and learn to speak English.





Day 27 (Friday, February 16th 2018)

Today is the closing ceremony day of the SEA-Teacher program at Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University (SSRU). The closing ceremony was held at 5.00 pm. But at 1:00 pm, all of our program participants were sent to school by Ajan Araya because the manager of the SSRU demonstration school will give thanks and separation before we return to their respective campuses.



For this closing ceremony, Ajan Araya informed us to prepare a presentation about what we got during observation and teaching at SSRU. I had already prepared the presentation for that, but when the closing ceremony came I did not use the presentation because I think it's better to say it directly without using the presentation. The closing ceremony was attended by the dean of the Faculty Education SSRU, Dr. Anchana. Who attended the closing ceremony of almost all buddy (Name, Four, and Safe), lecturer staff and some teachers from Demonstration school SSRU. After Dr. Anchana expressed his gratitude to all the participants, it is time for us to take turns giving opinions on what we got during the SSRU. The first one to talk about is what Lyzel got, then Jherelyn. At the time of Jherelyn's turn to speak, she shed tears because she was sad to be leaving Thailand. Suddenly we who heard it too sad and crying. Then after, that all the participants talk while crying because we are sad will leave SSRU. After all the participants talked about their experience in Thailand, it was the turn of each buddy present to talk about his experience. At the time of Name's turn, I had a chance to record it.






"Too many wonderful memories while in Thailand. From memories of friendship to love"

For 1 month in SSRU, many experiences that I got.
 

First, it was my first experience teaching at a school about earth science. But despite this my first experience, but it's not an obstacle to being the best.
 

Second, SSRU is the number one educational campus in Thailand. Therefore, the service on SSRU campus is very good. The teachers at the school are also very friendly and the lecturers on the SSRU campus are very experienced.

Third, if speaking in terms of facilities. SSRU has a very suitable facility. In each class has a computer and AC

Fourth, in addition to the faculty of education. SSRU also has other faculties and has different campuses, so SSRU is a large campus also.

Fifth, the curriculum used in Thailand such as the 2006 curriculum in Indonesia is KTSP, because it still uses 5E (Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, Evaluation).

This is my evaluation form Download

This is my Self-Report Download





Day 28 (Saturday, February 17th 2018)

"I hate to say goodbye"

Today became my last day in Thailand because tomorrow my flight to Bali, Indonesia at 6:00 am. Therefore, I want to spend my time in Thailand with my friends from the Philippines and Thailand namely Name, Jherelyn, and Lyzel.

In the evening, Fang invites us to eat at a place we usually eat papaya salad which is near his hostel name.This time Fang pays all the food we ordered. After that, we went to Tang Tao to eat Bingsu while waiting for Name to come from his house.

After the Name is ready, we go to my dorm and play the UNO card until morning so I, Name, Jherelyn and Lyzel are not sleeping. When morning arrived, I was very sad because Tyas me and I are the first participants to leave for the airport. I will miss all the friends, I will miss all my friends, I will miss Ajan Sumalee, Ajan Araya, Ajan Malika, Ajan Pat, Pi 'Yodd, Pi' Dream, Pi 'Eve, Pi' Pawinee, Pi 'Khon, Pi' Angkie, Som 'O, Four, Safe, Fang, Name, Lyzel, Julie, Grace, Ila, Lisa, and you Jherelyn. Thank you for the most beautiful memories for a month in Thailand. Thank you for the gift you have given me, I will keep your gifts. I hope one day we'll meet again.



Day 29 (Sunday, February 18th 2018)

Goodbye Thailand, I will miss this place

Thank you Name for bringing me and tyas to the airport

See You Next Time




I don't cry because we've been separated by distance, and for a matter of years. Why? Because for as long as we share the same sky and breathe the same air, we're still together.

Komentar

Postingan Populer